Monday, December 24, 2012

Special news !!!

While I'm still not battle ready I'm much better with only slight set backs in pain bothering me here and there; however the news that came with our trip to the vet:

Hot Rod is pregnant !!!! That certainly lifted my spirits and made my Christmas holiday even more special.

Now you may not understand why this is so amazing or special at all well let me tell you why it is...

A Long ago in a time far far away (hehe)...,

Hot rod is my almost 17 year old sorrel quarter horse mare, her mother was Lacy who I rode as a little girl and often took trips to the New Mexico pecos mountain range, and basically grew up on the back of that mare, in fact there are several occasions where lacy actually saved my life! About 4 years ago lacy passed away of old age, and I still miss her so much she was the most forgiving and understand mare who allowed a younger version of myself to even practice roman riding lol!

I was present for hot rods birth, she was a carbon copy of her mother in every way except she was darker sorrel and a little "hotter" hence " hot rod".

Hot rod didn't make it in a perfect world long, not even 3 months after her birth a pack of neighbor dogs that were allowed to roam free at the neighbors house ran her into a barbed wire fence took her down and began eating her flesh on her chest and front legs down into the muscle, tendon and vital tissue....
She was found in a pool of blood and the vet was called as she was barely clinging to life, he said the filly would never walk again, put her down.

After refusing not to try the filly was flipped side to side and held up to nurse multiple times, one day she was standing on her own - a miracle!!

15 years later she is finally my own and within 3 months the mare went from never being used to fully broke and helping me enjoy riding and horse ownership again!

2 years ago I decided that I had to try to get a foal to continue the line of horses that I love so dearly, with a beautiful palomino stud, Breaker a son of art of gold on the property, began my desire to begin breeding hot rod, the first year rendered no success.

Then 2012 I began in feb breeding her again, my may still nothing and she was not taking or settling.
On July 22 2012 she was bred for the last time because I decided it wasn't meant to be.
In August the stallion suffered severe colic and passed away :(

November came and so did that nagging feeling that I had to try one more time for a foal! So plans were made to breed hot rod to a new stallion in 2013, but I wanted the vet to double check her condition to ensure she would be safe as possible due to her age and never having a live foal.
As she aborted an almost full term buckskin filly about 9 years ago due to catching rhino flu from some boarders horses :(

The vet began his exam as I told him every detail and asked every question that I could think of that might help make my dream come true...

He began an ultrasound and asked me to look at the screen..

THERE IT WAS!!!!! The most perfect little horse head I've ever seen! I broke down in tears of joy and squeals of excitement , it didn't even feel real!

He said she must have taken during the July breeding meaning were about 5 months in!!!

So now I'm getting everything ready for the most special foal to ever hit the ground, I talk to the foal while groom hot rod, I just can't wait to meet the little one, that foal has no idea how much love is ready waiting on him/her!

So here are some 5 month baby belly pics plus my little sister Sarah exercising hot rod so she doesn't lose her figure while carrying baby!

More updates will come, we are so excited for our new arrival!











No comments:

Post a Comment