Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Choosing a stallion

Ok so I have 2 stallions that I'm thinking Of to breed with my mare this coming year. Hot Rod is a foundation Quarter horse with links back to King, Leo, two eyed jack and several other foundation quarter horses. She's a dark Sorrel with a little white on her face and stands about 15.3. She has the best temperament and intelligent mind you can ask for an is willing to do anything I ask, Which I hope she would pass to the foal.


The first stallion is Gilligan (skippers reward). He's a bay Appaloosa with a small blanket he stands about 15.2. While shorter than what I'm looking for his Movement and beauty make up for his height. Gilligans bloodlines traced back to QH Skipper W, poco Bueno, King, Wimpy and Thoroughbreds such as man-o-war and three bars.

The next stallion is shiner (shiner buck). Shiners a White leopardprint Appaloosa standing 16 hands. Shiners bloodlines trace back to Thoroughbreds man-o-war three bars, war Admiral. and quarter horses such as traveler, little Joe and skipper w. Shiner has the elegance grace that I'm looking for however he's more likely to throw a colored foal.

The question is do I pick the elegance and height or the better confirmation also it's a choice of color if I'd like to have a colored foal shiners the better choice if color really isn't an issue then Gillian is probably the better choice. Both horses are nice movers And both Have sires and dams ahead of them who have produced Well in the show ring.


I'd like to show the foal in halter as a yearling and maybe weanling and as the horse becomes to riding age I want to take in the English classes like Huntseat Cross rails maybe some jumping pleasure and hopefully someday Cross country and eventing. This makes me think the horse that's taller might be the better decision Plus with shiners heavy thoroughbred background he would make an excellent eventer if the foal came out well, And I'm not too picky I be very happy with a colt or a filly.

I guess it's back to the tables to decide









2 comments:

  1. We should totally do hunt seat and eventing .... As you know, Max isn't the prettiest Appaloosa, but he sure can jump and move (when I make his lazy ass lol). I wouldn't worry as much about color as performance potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really hoping for a hunter hack, hunter over fences baby... Going to do halter for the first couple years to get him/her into the ring but my goal is to hopefully advance through the English classes ( just praying the baby is on the same page I am lol )

    ReplyDelete